Saturday, March 20, 2010

Shredded Chicken

This is one of the easiest things to do to prep for the week ahead... This is the second time I have done this, but what a time saver!!! Especially with our busy schedules!

1. Start with a whole chicken. I purchased these two at Costco for a little over $8! 



2. Chop up some veggies, I used zucchini, green bell peppers, onion, and carrots. Last time we have celery and tomatoes in as well and it was super tasty and made a wonderful broth

3. Put everything in the crock pot and set on high. (you can do low if you have more time) I shoved some veggies under the skin as well to add a little extra flavor.

4. I used some apple cider vinegar and water as well as a jar of the stock made from the last chicken that we did.

Below is about 2 hours into cooking.

And again a little closer, you can see the skin falling off and the veggies popping out now.

All done! I cooked this chicken about 5 hours then pulled it out of the stock and into another bowl to cool. 


Pull apart and shred! this part is tedious!!!! But be carefule to wait until the chicken is cooled off or you WILL burn your fingers! (Not that I would know anything about that!)


I also saved the veggies (not the zucchini) for later use. They are super tasty!


Super easy and by making the chicken plain and going ahead and shredding it you can leave it in the fridge for the week and use what you want when you want! No extra cooking necessary. 
And it makes a wonderful chicken salad... just add some dried fruit, nuts and i personally LOVE to add some dill. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment